We’ve been behind on our ice cream making, but now that’s it summer time, we definitely plan to get back on track. We made a pistachio ice cream. The ice cream had a very obvious pistachio flavor which tasted great, but looking back in hindsight, we would add some more sugar. The recipe includes our updated sugar amount.
- 2 cups of half and half
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of pistachio butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour
Ice Cream Mixing Time: 25 minutes
- Mix the half and half and whipping cream in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a bowl, thoroughly whisk the egg yolks. This step is not done on the stove.
- Pour half of the hot mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly to avoid having scrambled eggs in your mixture.
- Pour the half of the mixture (now with the eggs) back into the saucepan. Continue to whisk constantly on low heat while adding the vanilla extract and sugar. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens/shows signs of beginning to boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and mix in the pistachio butter.
- Separate the mixture into 2 bowls and place them into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture and place it in the ice cream maker. Let the ice cream maker run for about 25 minutes
A little melted pistachio ice cream: