Rum cake is one of my favorite desserts and I have always associated it with the Holdiays season or vacations to the Caribbean (both are also on my favorites list). This is an easy dessert to make for any upcoming NYE party.
The recipe I followed can be found here.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 package of yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of rum (your preference of light or dark rum)
- 9″ or 10″ baking ban (I used a bundt pan)
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of rum
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Cool and Glaze Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 325° F and lightly grease the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts around the bottom of the baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine and mix the yellow cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and rum.
- Pour the batter the evenly over the nuts.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for about an hour or until the cake is thoroughly baked (test with a toothpick)
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5 – 10 minutes. Then flip baking pan over onto the plate so that the nuts are on top. Remove the cake from the baking pan.
- To make the glaze, melt the butter in a small pot on the stove. Stir in the water and sugar and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes while constantly stirring. Then remove the pot from the stove and stir in the rum
- Poke holes along the top of the cake (I used a chopstick to make the holes). Spoon the glaze evenly around the cake. The glaze has a strong rum flavor, so use as much or as little glaze as you would like.
- Once you are done with glaze, let the cake sit for 30 minutes before serving. This allows the cake to absorb the glaze.
Some of my additional ideas for this recipe would be to use cupcake baking sheets instead of the baking pan to make small bite size rum cakes. I’ve also considered adding banana slices with the nuts to create a Banana Rum Cake.